Sunday, April 24, 2011

Mac and Cheese and memories

I always thought my Mom made the BEST Macaroni and Cheese!! We never had boxed mac and cheese at our house because I am allergic to the yellow dyes in the "cheese" in those boxes so for my Mom to make homemade Macaroni and cheese it was a special occasion.
So one day as an adult, I was craving some good mac and cheese so I called my Mom to ask for her recipe and she said to look on the back of the box of Mueller's elbow macaroni. Now I know she was just following a recipe, but whatever she did it I remember it was special!

Link
So here it is straight from http://www.muellerspasta.com


Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese
Baked Mac and Cheese

Always a family favorite, macaroni and cheese is the classic comfort food that’s easily prepared!



Mueller's Elbow Macaroni

Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 min Serves 6

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces Mueller's Elbow Macaroni
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded American or Cheddar cheese, divided
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. Cook pasta 6 minutes. Drain.
  3. In medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, salt, dry mustard & pepper in medium saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Add margarine, stirring constantly.
  4. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 1 minute.
  5. Remove from heat. Stir in 1-3/4 cups cheese until melted. Add cooked pasta. Pour into greased 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
  6. Bake uncovered 25 minutes, or until lightly browned


Hint: The key to cooking this is PATIENCE. I stir the sauce constantly until it thickens. Also, the sharper the cheese, the better.

I shared this today since this is one of the dishes I made for our Easter lunch potluck with our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment