It is a slow cooker soup and I had almost all the ingredients on hand in my pantry or fridge. I did make one substitution so we'll see how it turns out. I used Rotel zesty tomato and green chili sauce instead of the mild enchilada sauce the recipe had in its ingredient list.
The recipe was in a Kashi ad so I checked out their website www.kashi.com/family and they have a great recipe section!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 205 Minutes
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) organic black beans or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans ( 14 1/2 oz. each) diced organic tomatoes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 can (10 oz.) mild red enchilada sauce
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen organic whole kernel corn
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced organic green chilies
- 1/2 medium organic onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh organic cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Bottled hot pepper sauce, sour cream, organic lime wedges, chopped organic avocado, shredded cheddar cheese or chopped fresh organic cilantro (optional)
- In 6-quart crockery cooker combine broth, beans, undrained tomatoes, chicken, enchilada sauce, corn, chilies, onion, 1 tablespoon cilantro, cumin, chili powder and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from crockery cooker. Cover cooker. Shred chicken. Return chicken to mixture in crockery cooker. Cover and cook on high heat setting for 15 minutes more.
- Ladle into serving bowls. Serve with KASHI Pita Crisps Original 7 Grain with Sea Salt and/or other serving options.