Saturday, February 2, 2013

Chicken Lettuce Wraps or Thai Tacos

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com and we loved it. My boys renamed it Thai tacos and said we should have it more often than regular tacos.

I have included the recipe and the link back to it and some changes I made to suit our family.


Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients

















Directions

  1. Cook and stir ground chicken in a large skillet until the meat is crumbly and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain excess grease. Stir red bell pepper into chicken; cook and stir until pepper is slightly softened, about 5 more minutes.
  2. Whisk 1/2 cup soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ginger, 5 dashes hot pepper sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl; pour over chicken mixture. Cook and stir chicken mixture with sauce over low heat until flavors have blended, 5 to 10 minutes.
  3. Mash peanut butter with hot water in a small bowl until smooth; stir 3 tablespoons soy sauce and 5 dashes hot pepper sauce into the mixture. Set dipping sauce aside.
  4. Form lettuce leaves into cup shapes and fill with chicken mixture. Top lettuce wraps with shredded carrots, sprinkle with green onion and cilantro, and a spoonful of peanut dipping sauce.
  5. I made a few changes; I used smooth peanut butter not crunchy and not as much as the recipe called for and diluted it out more to make it real smooth. Also, I used Siracha for the hot sauce and lots more cilantro for topping. (but our family really likes cilantro) I also added some minced garlic when I added the grated ginger. Also, the recipe calls for 6 large lettuce leaves but I found a head of iceberg gives you many more lettuce "wraps" than 6 and the filling goes a long way. I served the wraps with Jasmine rice and edamame.





No comments:

Post a Comment