Friday, September 14, 2012

Chickadilla Soup or Chicken Tortilla Soup

I had no idea what to throw together for dinner tonight and didn't want to go to the store AGAIN so I remembered a recipe I recently saved from a magazine.
It is a slow cooker soup and I had almost all the ingredients on hand in my pantry or fridge. I did make one substitution so we'll see how it turns out. I used Rotel zesty tomato and green chili sauce instead of the mild enchilada sauce the recipe had in its ingredient list.

The recipe was in a Kashi ad so I checked out their website www.kashi.com/family and they have a great recipe section!



Chicken Tortilla Soup

Created by Kashi
Put a south-of-the-border twist on chicken soup with tomatoes, beans, enchilada sauce, green chilies, cumin, chili powder and cilantro. This bold-flavored soup is slow cooked in a crockery cooker.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 205 Minutes
Servings: 12

Ingredients

  • 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cans (15 oz. each) organic black beans or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cans ( 14 1/2 oz. each) diced organic tomatoes
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
  • 1 can (10 oz.) mild red enchilada sauce
  • 1 package (10 oz.) frozen organic whole kernel corn
  • 1 can (4 oz.) diced organic green chilies
  • 1/2 medium organic onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh organic cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • Bottled hot pepper sauce, sour cream, organic lime wedges, chopped organic avocado, shredded cheddar cheese or chopped fresh organic cilantro (optional)

Directions

  1. In 6-quart crockery cooker combine broth, beans, undrained tomatoes, chicken, enchilada sauce, corn, chilies, onion, 1 tablespoon cilantro, cumin, chili powder and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high setting for 3 to 4 hours.
  2. Remove chicken from crockery cooker. Cover cooker. Shred chicken. Return chicken to mixture in crockery cooker. Cover and cook on high heat setting for 15 minutes more.
  3. Ladle into serving bowls. Serve with KASHI Pita Crisps Original 7 Grain with Sea Salt and/or other serving options.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups, Calories 140, Total Fat 1.5g, Total Carbohydrate 20g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 4g, Protein 13g

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I lost my recipe and now I have found it!!! I love this soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe,ez to make and healthy..want to put a mans spin on it,I'll throw in a chopped jalapeño,2 pinches of crushed pepper,2 cloves of garlic,and (don't kill me) a lb of fresh lean ground beef,it's crazy good and my football buddies can't get enough,lol enjoy

    ReplyDelete