I think it would be a great recipe to make after the holidays also to use up leftover turkey since you can use chicken or turkey in it. I used shredded rotisserie chicken meat tonight and it worked fine.
Spicy White Chili
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 4 1/2 ounce can diced green chiles
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 15 ounce can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 14 1/2 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, shredded
1. In a Dutch oven cook onions and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often, until tender. Stir in green chiles, chili powder, oregano, and cayenne pepper; cook for 1 minute. Mash one can of the beans. Add all beans and broth to ingredients in Dutch oven. Bring to simmering. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the turkey; cook about 10 minutes, until heated. Stir in cheese until melted.