Chicken Parmesan Salad
- FOR THE MARINATED MOZZARELLA
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella, cubed
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- FOR THE CHICKEN TENDERS
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (about 1 pound), cut into strips
- 1/2 cup flower, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove (minced), salt and pepper
- FOR THE SALAD
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 jarred roasted red pepper, sliced
In a medium bowl, toss all of the ingredients for the marinated mozzarella. Let the mixture sit at room temperature to allow the flavors to meld.
Prepare three separate bowls for dredging the chicken. In the first, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. In another, beat the eggs. In the last, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, basil, and oregano. Dredge each chicken strip first in the flour mixture, then the egg; roll it in the crumbs and transfer it to a plate.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the chicken in batches (don't overcrowd the pieces), until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. If needed, add more oil to the pan as you cook. Transfer the meat to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing. In a large bowl, toss the salad greens, roasted red pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the dressing. To serve, fill each bowl with To serve, fill each bowl with the salad mixture, then top it with some marinated mozzarella and a few chicken tenders. Serve the remaining dressing on the side.
I made so much of the Parmesan Chicken Tenders that I used them tonight to make Chicken Parmesan. I just cooked spaghetti and heated up jarred spaghetti sauce. I used oven safe bowls and made individual Chicken Parmesans. I layered spaghetti noodles, sauce, chicken and then topped it with parmesan and mozzarella cheese and put it under the broiler until it was warm and the cheese was hot and bubbly.